Wednesday, June 18, 2008

“Flatha pluddum wurfle…”

I’m off to ground school tonight, but first a little anecdote. Today I spoke on the phone with a local helicopter instructor who confirmed that ground school in radio communications is worth my time.

It turns out talking on the radio in a helicopter is one of the surprising challenges. It’s apparently difficult to speak coherently, or even move your mouth much, when your brain is already coordinating a four-limb circus. So much so, the instructor tells me, that the joke with pilots is that the “Push to Talk” button on the radio is really a “Push to Be Stupid” button.

As a drummer of many years, I can relate. Hopefully my experience ordering a drink and negotiating the next song while actively playing the current one will give me an edge when it comes time to speak to air traffic control.

No comments: